Tuesday 3 May 2011

Calling all London based Vintage Fanatics!

Vintage fashion has had a big chunk of my heart ever since I was 13 and bought my first Vintage dress - a Victorian night gown. I never wore it out because one of the meanest girls in school (whom, may I point out left much to be desired in the wardrobe department) told me I looked like a grandma, which is something I'm used to hearing now but was not ready to accept at the beginning of my teenage years. 

It could also stem from years of hand me downs, there was nothing more exciting than receiving a bag of new clothes the cool girls down the road had outgrown, although the majority of it was tat and involved bullying my little brother into wearing it resulting in his overtly macho self in present day.

I love the way Vintage has evolved in recent years, mixed with newer or self made pieces these old garments get a breath of new life BUT for me there's always something more wonderful about a girl throwing on a 50's dress with the perfect pin curls and scarlet lips as if she just stepped out from the era itself. 
On the 29th to the 31st of July Vintage will take over London's Southbank in the form of 'Vintage by Hemmingway', a festival arranged by Wayne and Gerardine Hemingway celebrating everything from the 1920's through to the 1980's in the forms of film, fashion, music and culture. Last year brought gigs that catered for all sorts of musical tastes, from soul to disco, a sock hop, best in show, vintage art and my personal favourite, a roller disco!
for more information and tickets click here!


Here's a taster from last year!




No comments:

Post a Comment