So, after I posted the other day about my lack of love for Terry Richardson a few people of asked me why I harbour so much hate. I've spent the last week or so displaying my utter disgust to my boyfriend and we decided I should probably stop whining to him and write a post, so here are my top ten reasons for thinking Terry Richardson is a complete twat.
- This quote from Rie Rasmussen pretty much summarises my opinion on how he treats models and she words it really well. "He takes girls who are young, manipulates them to take their clothes off and takes pictures of them they will be ashamed of. They are too afraid to say no because their agency booked them on the job and are too young to stand up for themselves. His 'look' is girls who appear underage, abused, look like heroin addicts … I don't understand how anyone works with him."
- His photographs completely objectify women, he treats women more like a prop than anything else, when you look at the (rare) shoots he's done with male models the feel is completely different. You must be a massive misogynist if you're willing to exploit women to that extent.
- He puts himself in front of camera a LOT, often taking the place of the subject and again using female models as props, when a man puts himself in front of the camera and starts touching the NAKED model the photographs can no longer be viewed as fashion photography but instead, pornography.
- If any female artist were to act the way he did within his photographs they would instantly be branded as a slut.
- I'm in no way against nude photography but the way Richardson chooses to approach it is by either taking pictures to show that 'he da man' or to be controversial for the sake of being controversial, there's no reason behind what he's does.
- His photographs are always completely sexist no matter what the campaign/subject/theme, the men in his photographs come off as being smart, wealthy, well kept men whereas women are made to look, again, like brainless naked objects.
- He uses taboos and nudity to make pictures that create uncomfortable viewing for literally no reason, there's no message behind his work other than 'yeah, I'm Terry Richardson, It's okay I can be a sex pest, I get paid to do it'
- You'd have thought with the whole 'situation' with Terry recently he'd have sat down and had a bit of a think about what a naughty little boy he's been but allegedly he has no soul.
- He strips off naked during shoots and sometimes lets the models take pictures of him naked first to stop nerves...right, WHAT?!
- He completely abuses his power within the industry, women who fall victim to his prying hands (I won't try tell you what he did and didn't do but I'm sure you can do the research and decide for yourself) are afraid to speak out in case they get dropped by their label or blacklisted.
EDIT: After writing this post I found this post written by Tavi at Style Rookie, worth a read!